Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

2013 Autumn Antics Skate-Off

Since I had been nominated for the Earnhardt-Hughes award, I had to come back and participate in the skate-off.  I would have had to be there anyway to help with sound, so it wasn't exactly an unplanned trip.  Still, time was tight as I had to be in Tucson in the morning to sing and traffic was heavy coming back.  I got to the rink just before 3 and the skate-off for singles was to start at 4:15.

For starting order I was 15th of 21, so I watched more great skating, then got my props in order, changed into my costume and finally it was time to skate!  I had taken the precaution of putting a spare copy of my music out with the music folks... so of course there wasn't a problem.

They called my name, and I went out with my table, set up, struck my pose... and off I went!

It was better than yesterday; nearly flawless except that for some reason that escapes me, in the very beginning instead of the back crossovers/step forward into the "deep as any ocean" move, I just turned and skated forward.  I don't know why.  Other than that everything was pretty much dead on!  I'm told the crowd really liked it, and I did hear some enthusiasm :-).

After I was done, I watched the last few skaters (awesome!) and took my skates off... which was a mistake, apparently, because for the awards they wanted everyone on the ice.  So they called us all up and I had to hurriedly put my skates back on.  eeep!  It was okay, though.

They had us come out and skate a victory lap, then we all lined up and they presented the awards.  I didn't win (aww!) but my buddy Brenna did so I was really really happy for her!

What an amazing experience!


Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home