Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Backspin Prep

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.  Nice ice and just 2 skaters and 2 coaches.

We spent our whole time on the backspin prep.  First we worked on the exercise where I start with a 2-ft spin and then alternate pushing with the L foot backward and R foot forward.  I've gotten much better at this.  JJ said he'd like me to keep working it but instead of pushing once per rev (approx) to push and then spin for 2+ revs before pushing again.

From there we went on to work on the RFI3 exercise where I hold the RBO and bring it around with my arms inside the circle and free leg back.  This has gotten better also.

Next we worked on pushing into the RFI3 and trying to get into spin position.  This is tough and it's not quite happening yet.  I'm trying to cross my feet.  Finally JJ hauled me over to the boards and had me just work on trying to do the RFI3 and stay on the sweet spot and just bring the free foot in next to the skating foot.  I had some success with this!  And then we were out of time.

I'm really jazzed, I feel like we are making progress.  I wish I had more time to practice but Autumn Antics is taking up a lot of time right now!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home