Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Competition Prep

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. freestyle at Gilbert.   This lesson was postponed from yesterday as I wasn't feeling well.

Today's lesson was all competition prep.  I ran the dramatic program with music... yow.  It was bad.  Really pretty bad, I thought... although I didn't fall and I did everything.    I realized after I ran it that I've been doing the last part wrong -- the moves are right but I am going the wrong direction.  I watched my video of Holly running the program and sure enough, I am going the wrong way after the salchow.   I've not gone and looked to see if I did it wrong at Cactus but this explains why I always felt the little hockey glide thing at the end wasn't right.  Anyway now I know.  We worked on some of the pieces and got them a bit better.  I feel like it's really slow but JJ says it's not that bad.

I also played JJ a piece of music I'm thinking about using for my next free skate.  The problem is I would have to be *really* ninja for that -- it's more aggressive than my free skate music now!  Yow.  So I might wait and use it for a Bronze program some day.  We'll see.

After my lesson I stayed and skated the next session and worked through some of my weak areas in the program.  Grrr.  I am still feeling a bit slow and tentative, and like I'm really out of shape.   Grr.  After this competition I'm going to have to really start this off-ice JJ has been working with me on.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home