Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Cactus Classic 2012 Free Skate

Today I skated my Battle for the Beat program at Cactus Classic 2012 at the Ice Den. 

I had practice ice at 12:05.  I got to the rink about 11:35 and got my boots on with plenty of time to let my toe settle down.  I did the random drawing for music and got spot #13.  I was discouraged because it seemed unlikely I'd get my music played, but decided to hope for the best.  Went out for practice.... what a zoo!  I did manage to get some good practice in, and then, best of all, I managed (just barely!) to get my music played -- the attendant was nice enough to start it even though we only had a minute left in the session; so I was finishing up as the next group of skaters was taking the ice.  The runthrough went reasonably well.

After my practice ice I went to grab some food, then got back to the rink, took my double dose of ibuprofen (per doctor's recommendation), met up with JJ, got my boots on and got set.

The warmup was me, skate buddy (and my competitor) Melissa and clubmate Jose (he was doing a Silver exhibition but was sharing the warmup).  Warmup was okay except it took me like 5! tries to do a decent salchow.  Geez! spins were good though.

Came off at the end of the warmup, Melissa was first so I talked with JJ and tried to relax.  Then it was my turn... got on the ice and skated out to position and off I went!  It's mostly a blur.  The first half went pretty well and actually got a really good spin that I had to stop so I could do the punch-punch move.  Off to the second half and I totally biffed the salchow... not sure what happened.  Grrr.  The rest went pretty well though and I ended on time with a good spin. 

Bowed to judges and audience, collected a couple of tossies (yay!) and skated off pretty happy.

Waited around with Melissa until they posted our scores -- Melissa got first, I got second.  I got all 2nd ordinals, but I expected that -- Melissa has much more complicated elements (backspin, loop) and I don't.  Took a picture and collected my medal, and another free skate is in the books.

I'm back tomorrow for the dramatic program -- first time competing it so I'm a little nervous.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home