Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Drills, Program Work

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert, as usual.  Nice ice and only 2 of us on the session (Amber and I).  Before my lesson I warmed up and did a really nice spin... it was encouraging.

Today's lesson:
  • Drills -- JJ showed me a couple of hockey-puck drills he'd like me to work with a bit.  The first is -- standing on the L foot (facing the boards), R foot extended behind w/puck under the toepick; holding the toepick on the ice, bring the R foot out and around into a spin, keeping the weight forward on the ball of the L foot.  The second was a crossover drill; standing on the L foot (parallel to the boards) with R foot extended back w/toepick on the puck; bend the L knee and extended the R foot behind/crossed under.
  • Program work -- JJ wanted to review the first part of the program with the changes we've made.  We ran it with music... ugh! The spiral->half flip->lunge->spin part is okay, it's mostly getting the footwork part correct in the new configuration.  I am not clear on where I need to be on the ice, exactly; I need to work on it more.  I also need to get more speed up so that I come out of the spiral and still have some speed going into the half flip.  Hmmph.
After my lesson we talked a bit more about some issues, both the new artistic program and also learning back-3s.  No firm decisions there yet.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home