Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

F8, Waltz-8, Serpentines, 3s

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  Lynne came on the ice just after I finished doing edges.

Today's lesson:
  • FO8 -- a little wobbly ( I was still warming up) but okay.
  • FI8 -- okay though my circles were maybe a little small.
  • Waltz-8 -- Mmmph.  More work on these.  I'm still stepping forward to early on the L side.  R side is much better but looking at it, it's still a bit egg-shaped.  Hmmph.
  • Serpentines -- just eh. We worked some more on crossing the line straight (not diagonally) and not anticipating the change of edge.  The actual change was a bit better but I didn't make it around once :-(.  Grrr.
  • 3s to center -- We just had a couple of minutes on these.  They were actually not bad.  The 3s are getting better; still need to improve the flow through and hold the check and keep the free leg from popping free after the turn.
 After my lesson we talked briefly about back-3s.  I've been having a discussion with JJ and now Lynne about whether I should learn them in patch or freestyle.  Lots of conflicting information and ideas for me to sort out.... there's more rocker on the FS blades so that might make it easier to learn, however there's more hollow too.  Even if I learn then in FS I will undoubtedly have to clean them up in patch blades to make them passable there.  I also feel like I have more "spare" time in patch than FS.  Not sure how to come down on this, or maybe I should learn in both contexts simultaneously.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home