Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Spins Etc.

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  This is an awesome session.. there were just like 3 or 4 of us.

Today's lesson:
  • Time trial -- JJ changed the way he measures this AGAIN.  Grr.  This is the Bronze FXO-BXO pattern, he's decided to measure it from start of the move to when I do the last BO edge out of the BXOs.  His reasoning is that he doesn't want me rushing the very last part (glide, step forward, stop).  Anyway my time was 1:03, which is probably about the same as last week if you add in the stuff that wasn't timed.  I've decided my goal is 50 seconds.  I'm losing time on the BXOs... for one thing I am doing 7 of them and I really should just do 5.  I need to get down-ice more.
  • Spins -- we spent most of our time on spins.    I did a couple that were pretty good, and several that were not.  The main focus for today was (yes, you've heard this before) holding the free leg back before the 3. I'm very frustrated with these but JJ reminded me that I need to just work on one (or two) things at a time.   I think JJ would say that I need to do a lot more of these.
  • Salchow -- had not done very many of these in a while and they really stank.  Bleah.  JJ's trying to get me to hold the exit of the 3 for a little bit and I am having problems doing that.  Grrr.  I'm trying it's just not happening.
After my lesson (JJ was very generous with his time) I worked on other moves -- 5-step mohawk, circle-8, and alternating BXOs to landing position.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home