Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

BI8, Waltz-8,3s To Center, Serpentine


I didn't think I would get to skate at lunch this week at all due to a heavy meeting load at work, but when my 11 a.m. meeting was done at 11:25, I texted Lynne and zipped out the door to get to the Chandler coffee club for 45 minutes worth of skating.

Today's lesson:
  • BI8 -- these are slowly improving.  My circle size is pretty good now for the most part.  Observations for today are to really work on the subsequent pushes (getting the skating foot turned and push onto the new edge); holllld that free foot in front longer, and don't cut the push short, go ahead and bring the free foot in naturally (don't pick it up until it's next to the skating foot).
  • Waltz-8 -- despite my whining these are improving.  My 3s were actually not too bad, at least when I remember to look up and keep my hands down.  BO edge better and the step forward is coming around more (usually).  Still needs a fair amount of improvement before it's testable though.
  • 3s to center -- these are actually improving!  I was so excited.  Several times on the R foot I actually held through the turn and flowed out a little on the other side without putting my foot down (until I ran out of speed).  The L side is not as good (weird, eh?) but it's improving a little also. 
  • Serpentine -- these are slowly getting better.  The biggest limiting factor (as it is for so much in my figures work) is the quality of the FO edge.   The other challenge for these seems to be to not go flat when I bring the foot forward for the change of edge -- it's that cross-body position that is kind of tricky.
All in all, really a pretty awesome lesson (and especially since I'd not skated patch since my lesson last Friday!).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home