Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Moves, Etc.


My freestyle lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. session at Gilbert, as usual.

Today's lesson:
  • Power-3s -- we worked on FO3s on the crease first to establish some control, then worked on the pattern.  Ugh.  I really just need to make myself do this pattern a couple of times every time I skate, or it will never improve.  It was a little better, though.
  • BXO perimeter stroking -- these are pretty ucky right now, mostly because I can't bend my ankle very well in these boots yet so they are really scratchy.
  • BXOs to landing position -- these actually aren't that bad.  I'm getting more comfortable with holding the BO edge.   Just needs (much) more practice!
  • Spins -- I hadn't done any in my warmup, but JJ asked for them... and I reeled of a really nice, perfectly centered 3 rev spin!  Wow!  I don't know how I did that.  Of course he asked for another spin and while it wasn't as good (only 2 revs) it was pretty well centered also.  Woo!
  • Waltz jump -- finished up with these, just did a couple.  I finally seem to be getting the arms fixed, I'm holding the FO edge before the jump, and I'm getting good spring and a good landing position.  All in all these are pretty good right now!
Work has been pretty crazy and I've not had much time to skate (freestyle), but that should get better next week.  I asked JJ if we could do two 45-minute lessons the next two Thursdays to do choreography, so that we'll have some time to get some repetition on the program when I'm first learning it.  I'm hoping that will help.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home