Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Moves


My freestyle lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. session at Gilbert.  I had not skated freestyle since my last lesson (!) and of course my boots won't break themselves in.  Geez.

Today's lesson:
  • 5-step Mohawk -- wow, these are bad.  We worked through the pattern a couple of times.  I need bigger lobes and to hold each step longer.  Not surprisingly my weakness on this pattern are the same that appear in my skating in general (which points out that the tests are valuable, if you think about it) -- specifically that my mohawks are too hoppy, and my BO edge/step forward are scrapy and not very smooth.  I am going to have to spend a lot of quality time on these.
  • BXOs to BO edge -- these are not so great either.  I need bigger lobes, and I need to feel a lot more comfortable sitting on that BO edge at some speed.   More practice required.
  • spins-- just a few at the end.  I did one that was pretty nice (4 revs!) but the rest just so-so.
The main frustration is that I'm not getting any freestyle skating time in right now due to work and other stuff so my boots are not getting broken in.  Geez.  I'm hoping next week will be better.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home