Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

BO8s!


My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club as usual.  Ice was freshly surfaced and pretty nice!  I had a good warmup -- my FO8s were not bad and edges, FI8s also pretty good.

Today's lesson:
  • BO8 -- after a somewhat ukky start, I proceeded to do the best BO8s I've ever done!  I was really on a roll.  The RBO has usually been good, but even the LBO was quite good.  I was doing a much better job of getting the free foot in front, and holding it steady, and on the LBO in particular I was finally really leaning into the edge!  I was really happy.
  • Waltz-8/FO3s -- went through these and the turns were pretty crappy, the BO edges were pretty good and the steps-forward were better than they have been (stepping to a good edge, although I wasn't stepping around as much as I should).  After a few repetitions we spent some time just working on FO3s because I'm so annoyed at how rotten they are.  We got some improvement out of them.  I think the keys in general were to be sure not to start the new circle on a diagonal (i.e. a better edge, not a flat); roll up on the toe more (how many times has Lynne told me that?!) and a certain quickness.  On the LFO3 I was tending to be too forward going into and after the turn so I made a concerted effort to hold my head up going into the turn and that helped a lot.
  • BI8 -- just a little time on these.  Lynne pointed out that I am making my circle too small to start because I'm not getting the foot turned out enough when I step to it -- I was able to fix this pretty well.  I am not getting enough power on the subsequent pushes either; Lynne and I worked on it a bit (I think we talked about this a few weeks ago also).  It's a bit tricky, really; coming into center one wants to then turn the skating foot out and push while striking onto the new skating foot.  Geez.  I think I will get this eventually.
All in all I was really pleased with my progress today!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home