Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Mohawks & Spins

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert as usual. Today was a chance to hit some of my weak points in the program.

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- I gave JJ some backstory about how my spins have been recently, and how it seems like I can do a couple of good ones and then they go downhill.  JJ thinks the problem is that I am trying to make adjustments and they are not the right adjustments.  He suggested that I get someone to video me the next time I'm having these issues and look at the video.   It's a good idea.  Anyway, we worked on spins and... yuck.  I was a bit stiff and my windup was horrible (usually it's the best part, lol), and then I was really rushing and not letting the spin develop.  We worked on it for a while and then moved on.
  • mohawks -- I wanted to look at these because, as I explained to JJ, I realized I have a real hard time doing a mohawk when I've been gliding on one foot for any length of time.  Usually I am coming off a two-foot glide when I do them.  I guess I hadn't realized I was doing that until I went on this quest (really it started with Sonya back before Cactus) to remove all the extraneous steps from my program.  Anyway JJ showed me how I am blocking myself with my upper body and how I need to work on learning to move my upper body to prep the mohawk, without moving my feet.  Good stuff to work on.
After my lesson I skated the next session and worked a bunch on this stuff and also on my toe loop.  I actually managed a couple that had the correct position (but precious little "jump"), so that was something.

PCAS is in two weeks and 3 days!  Eeep.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home