Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

BO8 & Waltz-8

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  We are having a cold snap and it was in the upper 30s outside, and not much warmer in the rink!

Today's lesson:
  • BO8 -- started off with these, using some circles that were already drawn.  Not bad, actually.  I'm having trouble filling out the last quarter or so of the circle and I tend to come in early.  But, positions are good and if I remember not to helicopter the arms on the rotation I have a fair amount of control on the 2nd half, and I'm doing a reasonable job of controlling the free leg.  All in all good progress.
  • FO3s -- we worked on these as prep for the waltz-8.  I did some pretty good LFO3s!  The RFO3s still tend to be pretty skidded, unfortunately, though I did make some progress in keeping the free hip up and getting turned into the circle more.  On the positive side the placement is improving, they now tend to be only 2 ft or so from the top of the lobe.
  • Waltz-8 -- these are improving.  I got into a good groove where I actually did (I think) 3 on each side without stopping -- not that they were perfect, but I kept it going.  Still lots to improve, esp. on the step forward and final FO edge on each side.
I will be getting my new freestyle boots in a month or so, and that means my old freestyle boots will get moved to my patch blades and I can finally re-retire my old Jacksons.  YAY!  Lynne and I agreed that of the elements on the Preliminary figures test the waltz-8 is definitely the weakest at this point.  I'm still hopeful that I can test them sometime in late summer or fall.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home