Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mohawks, Waltz Jump, Toe Loop

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  As usual, good ice and only 4 or 5 skaters and maybe 4 coaches.  In my warmup I did a really nice 4-rev spin, woo!

Today's lesson:
  • Mohawks -- I complained to JJ that my mohawks (I was looking at them on Sunday) really stink, so we worked on them a bit.  JJ suggested that I work to turn my upper body into the circle more and actually have both feet on the ice at the same time (what a concept).  We worked it against the boards a bit and then on the ice.  I need to work these more, I've really developed some bad habits in this area.
  • Waltz jump -- still working to fix my timing on this while actually holding the FO edge.  Some progress.  I have to say, when I actual do this right I get a nice, high, easy-feeling jump.
  • Toe loop -- still trying to uncheat this.  One suggestion JJ made to help me from blocking myself with my R shoulder as I go into the jump is to open the R palm after the 3.  It really helped!  Some progress but lots more to do here.
That was all we had time for.  I  have another lesson with JJ on Thursday morning since we missed last week.

After my lesson I stayed until 9 a..m and worked on waltz jump, spins, mohawks, and toe loop.  I also ran my Apollo 13 program with music twice.  Wow, the first time really stank!  Second time was much better but still some issues with the footwork sequence and the salchow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home