Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Program Prep & A REAL Toe Loop!

My freestyle lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.


Today's lesson was more program prep for PCAS, which is 3 weeks (!) from Friday.  We worked on the second half of the program and fixed a number of issues.  First, the T-stop into the bunny hop.  JJ pointed out that I'm not really stopping before I put the toepick into the ice before the bunny hop.  So we worked on coming to a stop (as I put it, "Wait until the plane has come to a full and complete stop and the captain has turned off the seatbelt sign" lol), then pushing the foot and upper body forward and putting the toepick into the ice and continuing.  JJ pointed out that I'll get a better stop if I am sure to keep the R shoulder forward (it tended to be back a little) so that I'm square coming into the stop.  After that we continued to work on the lunge at the end of the program, as it continues to threaten to get away from me (I "fell", not that there's far to fall, several times working it today).  The solution is to really keep the R hip (in this case) forward (again, square) which requires some active effort.  It helped though!

Finally we came back and worked on the toe loop more, against the wall and out on the ice.  JJ said something a little different to me -- he said that I need to continue to go backward more/longer.  For whatever reason this struck me differently and I went out and did an UNCHEATED TOE LOOP!!
Of course when I tried to do another I couldn't, quite.  Grrr.  I know it's in there somewhere, I just need to bring it out.  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home