Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Field Trip To Arcadia

I went on a "field trip" to skate at Arcadia Ice Arena in Phoenix.  Some of the folks I know from the Gilbert Wednesday night zoo skate there on Saturdays so I thought I would go and check it out.

It's an older rink, a bit cramped-feeling -- it lacks the spacious lobby that newer rinks tend to have.  It reminds me of Valley Ice Arena in Beaverton -- except it's a lot brighter than Valley was and smells better, lol!  Looking at their schedule they don't seem to have any freestyle sessions at all!  Just public and lots and lots of hockey, though they do have a skate school.

I skated for about an hour, worked a little on spins (my first one was really good!) and jumps. It was moderately crowded but they had a large area coned off still for skate school so it was a bit cramped.  Ice was just so-so; I've been told they are having Zamboni problems right now.  So I worked on a few things and was social a bit and helped Anna (new adult skater) with her crossovers and edges and also was latched on to by a young girl (Andi?) who wanted help with her jumps, lol.

All in all it was a fun afternoon, though a bit of a hike.  At only $5.50 it's a bargain though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home