Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Spins & Jumps

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert as usual.  Good ice, a few more skaters at the beginning of the session but they cleared out.

Today's lesson:
  • BO8 -- I was working on these when I started, so JJ wanted to look at it for a minute.  He gave me some feedback on the initial push, to get a bit more twist so that the first part of the push is stronger and then trail off more quickly.
  • Spins -- the first few were pretty good, then as so often happens they got worse.  JJ says that I'm not letting the 3 happen, I'm rushing it (duh).  I really need to find some mental tool to keep myself from rushing these.  Hmm.
  • Waltz jump -- we worked a bit on my timing; JJ wants me to hold the FO edge longer before the jump, and not to let my L arm swing wide.  Both arms/hands need to come together and then pull back while the skating knee bends.  Hmmph.
  • Salchow -- still working to improve these -- JJ wants me to hold the check longer after the 3, then bend the skating knee more deeply.  Grrr.
I had to get to work so couldn't stay for a 2nd session today.  Maybe next week!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home