Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

All The Usual Suspects

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  I had my patch blades sharpened on Wednesday but hadn't had a chance to skate in them since due to work commitments.  On the warmup I felt much more secure, so a big win there.  The only issue was the usual difficulty stopping.

Today's lesson:
  • FO8s -- just a few minutes on these.  The newly-sharpened blades really flow!  Even the LFO8 wasn't too bad.  I know someday it will be easy... just not yet!
  • BO8s -- again, really nice flow.  A nice experience to come in to center with some speed!... until Lynne reminded me I really should work on keeping the free foot in front.  Whoa.  I am really going to have to work on this because the second I get that foot out there (the R side, esp., L not as bad) I go flat and lose the edge.  Grrr.
  • BI8s -- again with the free foot.  Actually the insides are much, much easier for me at least as far as position -- my circles are VERY small right now and I need much more push.  But the free foot is happening, more or less!
  • waltz-8 -- finished up with these.  3s a little rough at first but settled in.  Step forward still a bit rough but holding the FO edge better after.
All in all I'm pretty pleased with my progress on the B8s -- I've had these free foot issues forever, so the progress I'm making is really exciting.  Lots more to do though!

After my lesson Lynne and Sacha were working on a routine they are skating for a show in LA, and I think also next week here.  So cool to see her skating 'for real' -- she's just amazing to watch.  I am off to Oregon for work this afternoon, bringing my skates so hopefully I will get to skate w/my SIA homegirls tomorrow and/or Thursday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home