Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Test Prep

My FS lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert. JJ has a scheduling issue right now so we started right at 7:30, with only a couple of minutes warmup for me.

Today's lesson:
  • FXO-BXOs - just once through as warmup.  Not too bad, but I need to stay down in my knees more on both, and not rush the tempo on the BXOs.  The mohawk was okay and so was the finish.
  • 2-foot spin -- first one bleah, second and third much better.  JJ reminded me to keep the arms out until I finish the pivot and then bring them in.
  • 1-foot spin -- the first several were pretty good. After that I think I get a bit overzealous and they get worse :-(.  Same issues, but I am definitely more comfortable with it.
  • waltz jump -- we worked a bit on improving my landing, it's the whole "Buns of Steel" position (head up, glutes in, free leg strong, skating knee bent).  It's hard to believe I have been doing these for like 6 years and STILL haven't tested them!  Oh well that will change soon.
  • salchow -- JJ wants me to hold the LFO longer before the 3, and we worked on having a better position after the 3 going into the jump.  JJ says I am bringing my L hand around and I really just need to hold it strongly in front and have the R hand come meet it.  Okay I've only been told that like six bazillion times (starting with Anna!).  Geez.  Anyway still working on it.
That was all we had time for.  After my lesson I worked on the lunge a little bit.  It's still scraping when I pick the foot up.. oh well.  Grr.  I was really tired, had a billion things to do at work, and only had one sticker anyway, so I didn't stay for the 8:15.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home