Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Slogging Through

Today's lesson on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  As usual good ice and not too crowded.  It's nice that I have gotten to know many of the skaters at this session, it makes me feel more at home.

Today's lesson:
  • FXO-BXOs -- just a brief review, JJ wanted to see how the transition was going.  It was a little rougher than Sunday, the ice was much cleaner and I got lots more speed on the FXOs so going into the LFI mohawk was a little scary but I managed it okay.  We discussed the end of the pattern since it wasn't clear to me whether he wanted me to do an LBO or RBO edge.  He clarified that he did want an RBO edge (landing position), so a change of circle, followed by a step forward and T-stop.  I'll have to work on that. Other than that it was okay although the BXOs were a little rushed and scratchy.
  • Spins -- these continue to improve.   The main issue now is that I have a good entrance but I'm getting a lot more speed in the spin so I'm tending to bail out.  JJ says as I get more used to the speed (via lots of practice!) I'll handle it better.  I think so too.  
  • Toe loop -- we worked on these pretty extensively on the wall and JJ took some video to show me what I am doing.  I think I have to make a complete separation in my mind between the toe-waltz and a real toe loop since the feeling is quite different. These are great against the barrier but not out on the ice yet!  Geez.
  • Waltz jump -- I only did one, as a warmup for the salchow, but JJ took a moment to remind me that I should hold the LFO edge longer before the jump.
  • Salchow -- these are coming along okay.  I did a few on the ice and then JJ worked with me on the barrier.  He wants me to get a better kneebend after the LFO3, and then to be sure to get the free leg extended behind at the same time.   He'd like me to hold the LBI edge a bit longer before the jump.
That was all we had time for at this point.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home