Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Competition Post-Mortem

I've taken some time to reflect on my competition experience.

The first and most obvious is that I've come a long way.  Both JJ and a couple of skater friends have observed to me that I am skating faster (not fast :-), but faster) than even a few months ago.  I also was definitely a lot more relaxed.  If I rated my nervousness level this time vs. the first competition, it went from maybe an 8 to a 4.  That's pretty significant.

The second point is that this is the first time I've done a toe loop in a program, the first time I've done my (crappy) 1-foot spin, and the first time I've (attempted) a salchow.  Oh, and it's the first time I've actually landed a waltz jump in a program :-).  Pretty significant really!

Third is that I actually felt like I knew more-or-less what I was doing.  That was really nice.  I didn't skate a perfect program, and *that was okay*.  I kept going, which is what counts.

I know I have a long way to go and there's a lot I want to accomplish.  I really do feel like I've turned some kind of corner in my skating career.  It's a good feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home