Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Edges, Edges, Edges


Today's figures lesson with Lynne. Good ice and only 3 or so skaters and 1 coach (mine!). I hadn't skated in my patch blades since last week's lesson, eeep.

Today's lesson:
  • FI edges -- Lynne caught me pretty much right when I got on the ice and I reeled these off and they actually were not bad! I am pleased that I have gotten a lot more comfortable with my patch blades and it's not so daunting to be in them.
  • FO edges -- eeep. These are still pretty inconsistent. I'm doing better on the initial push-off and first edge but when I come to do subsequent edges (already moving) I'm not setting myself up well. It helped to make a conscious effort to turn the pushing foot out so that I'm reminded it's not a "stroking" kind of push.
  • FI8 -- these were not too bad. I'm still not usually getting all the way around on one push but my circle size and tracing were pretty good.
  • FO8 -- a bit rough in spots, but improving.
That's all we had time for today! I know that I tend to whine a bit about my figures lessons, but I did have one moment today -- I think it was on the FO8 on my L foot -- where I was reminded why I'm doing this. I pushed off and was on a really, really good edge, and my body position and everything was just right and it just *flowed*. It felt so magical! Now if I can just make that happen all the time...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home