Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Potpourri


FS lesson w/JJ on the 7:30 a.m FS at Gilbert as usual. Nice ice and only 3 skaters.

Today's lesson:
  • lunges -- JJ was looking through the rulebook and decided we needed to look at some of these elements. My L foot lunge is okay, R not so great. Still dragging the toe a bit on setting down and picking up. I was able to fix the dragging on set-down but couldn't quite figure out what I need to do to fix the pick-up. JJ says I need to get my weight a little more forward and really feel the lift in the leg.
  • spirals -- yes, I have guy spirals. My L spiral not too bad, R not as good. Not hip height. JJ also says I still need to get my weight a little further back on the blade (esp. on R side).
  • 1-foot spin -- one good one and several not as good. I'm still fighting to not bring the R side around so quickly.
  • backspin -- JJ wanted to look at these again, from a 2-foot spin picking up the L foot. It's so weird. Yuck.
  • waltz jump -- not too bad. I am still not coming straight off the pick so JJ had me try doing them from a standing start and that fixes it there. I'm basically letting my R side get ahead (again with the R side!).
  • salchow -- JJ had me work on using a 3-count on each edge and THEN jumping. This helped my timing a bit. I did have one that had good timing and some that were not too bad.
After my lesson I skated the 8:15 session (so 1.5 hours total). Worked on moves and 3s and some more work on toe loop. I did several toe loops where I managed to bring my R foot even with my L foot (toepick) but did a 3 with the R foot before jumping. Still I think it's an improvement since I got the foot back. I'll have to play around with this more.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home