Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spins & Jumps


Today's lesson on the 7:30 FS at Gilbert. Nice ice** and only like 3 skaters.

Today's lesson:
  • waltz jump -- just a few to warm up. Not too bad, I'm getting good spring. JJ reminded me not to worry too much about the step forward into the LFO being on the same circle as the BO edge preceding -- don't want too much curve on the LFO anyway.
  • salchow -- just a few of these. Have to remember to really stretch the R arm back and then bring it in, not around.
  • toe loop -- we worked on these quite a bit. Still cheating. JJ showed me an exercise (similar to one I was already doing) -- do the RFI3, pick in, go into a pivot but then do a BO3 with the R foot. This gets the feeling of putting your weight on the pick but also the feeling of going forward/following through. It seems to help, I will work it some more.
  • spins -- a few good ones, a few not-so-good. JJ reminded me to really ride that edge and most importantly, not release (pull in) until the 3-turn. Not going into the 3-turn, but right when it happens (or immediately after). Thinking about it this way really helps, and the few times I was able to do this were much better. The spins I'm getting are still pretty wonky but I am staying with them, so I count that as progress.
  • BXOs -- by my request we spent a few minutes on these working on descratching them with some success. No epiphanies, just working on pushing the heel down on the push-under. Besides doing them in a big circle (we did both sides) we also worked doing alternating BXOs down the rink. A little rough but coming along.
After my lesson I stayed for the 8:15 session (1.5 hours total skating). I worked on moves a bunch as well as more time on sal, toe and spins. I discovered I really need to work on my RFO3 side power-3s, I worked on them and they were really, really bad. Some good progress on the toe loop, I got one that was not really cheated in the usual way but had a bit of a 3 from the R foot before the takeoff. Still I was pretty happy with that because I think it's a lot closer to how the "real thing" feels, so that was good.

I'm really not used to skating for 90 minutes so I was really dragging the last 15 minutes or so but I think the extra time is really helping me so I'm pretty enthused about it. Once I am in better shape I'm sure it will be fine.

**I will mention this one last time and then leave it alone so as not to seem whiny. Tuesday morning Gilbert ice is good *for here*, about as good as freshly "resurfaced" Chandler coffee club ice -- but neither one is anywhere as nice as Sherwood's usual ice. Wow, I miss that ice. Soooo smooth and glassy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home