Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Spins, Jumps, 5-Step Mohawk


Today's lesson on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert as usual. Good ice and only 3 skaters and 2 coaches!

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- I am still tending to bring my free side around too hard and too quickly. I managed a couple where I didn't do this and got a couple of good 2-3 rev spins. JJ also wanted to briefly look at backspins, just from a two-foot spin (Anna had me working on these a looooong time ago but I've not touched them since then). Not much success there.
  • jumps -- a couple of waltz jumps to warm up with -- the second one was really nice, good spring and a solid, held landing. JJ mentioned he'd like me to hold my landings longer for now and also practice "pretty arms" on them. Ooookay. :-) On to salchow -- it's actually coming along pretty well. I'm a bit concerned that it's now something of a spin-cow but I can't really tell. I'm only holding the exit from the 3 a couple of feet before the jump. Still the jump itself is coming along and maybe that's where I need to be. Toe loop -- about the same. Good rhythm, good spring but still cheated.
  • 5-step mohawk -- JJ had wanted to finish up with these since we haven't looked at them much. I did one side and they were pretty yucky (although I did at least finish the side) -- slow, small lobes. JJ had me work on practicing the step forward, and had me practice doing a chasse to get the feeling of bringing the free foot in to the instep.
After the lesson I stayed for the next session and worked on stuff more, so I got in a total of 1.5 hours of FS today -- yay! The second session was just me and one other skater so it was nice. I was pretty beat at the end though.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home