Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Edges & Waltz-8


Today's figures lesson was on the Chandler coffee club session as usual. There was a hockey game going on on the ice usually used for coffee club, but the staff told me that that's where the session would be. After a while I figured out that the game was only in the 2nd period, went back, and yes, the session was on the other sheet. "Sorry, we didn't know". Geez.

Today's lesson:
  • F edges -- started with these since I was warming up. They were a bit rough but improved. Outside edges in particular are a bit rough.
  • B edges -- we had not looked at these before. BO edges not so great, I have a really hard time holding that position. It was hard for me in FS blades so of course it's not going to be easier in patch blades! We worked a bit on holding that position (BO edge, free foot in front) -- it's still a problem area for me that needs work. BI edges were actually amazingly good, so we moved on.
  • waltz-8 -- Lynne asked to look at these, even though I can't do 3s in my patch blades yet. I am working on 3s in my FS blades -- I should ask JJ whether he wants me to work on them in patch also or wait until I've made some improvements in FS first. Anyway we looked at them with me doing a two-foot turn in place of the 3. They are about as stinky as ever.
  • FI8 -- finished up with these. I need to push better, but other than that not so bad.
After my lesson I spent some time working on my pushoff. The RF glide from push is a lot weaker so I worked it for a while and it improved a bit. I need more practice. Next week things should be back to "normal".

I had a couple of dumb falls today, once in the waltz-8 (step forward) and once on something else. No harm no foul, it just always amuses me. I think this was the first time I fell in front of Lynne, so at least she knows I'm not fragile :-).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home