Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Jumps & Spins


Today's lesson on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert as usual. Session was much more crowded than usual (school is out), probably 12+ skaters and 4 or 5 coaches on the ice, including a dance team at the end. Skate buddy Melissa was on this session too, it was nice to see her! It's been a while. What with the holidays I had not skated since last Wednesday (!) but in spite of that I warmed up pretty quickly and had a good skate.

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- still working on control of the entry and keeping the leg back and out. These actually were surprisingly good. I'm doing a better job of keeping over the L side. When I bring the leg in I'm not keeping the edge very well though. I did a couple of good 2-rev spins. Once was quite slow and controlled, which I found encouraging (I can speed it up later).
  • waltz jump -- we'd not looked at these in quite some time. I wasn't too happy with them because I wasn't too consistent with them -- not getting good spring and the landings were not as solid as they have been. Still we made some improvements toward getting them back to where they have been.
  • toe loop -- again we had not looked at these in a while. Still cheated. I'm getting good spring off of the toe, though. We worked a lot on the entry, since it appears that part of my issue with cheating it is not being on a good solid edge after the 3.
And that was all we had time for.... I need more ice time! I know I will get more time in starting next week, it's just been frustrating.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home