Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Back Edge Workout


Today's lesson with Kelli was rescheduled from Thursday to today due to a conflict I had. It was on the 8:15 FS as usual.
  • FO8 -- since it is technically supposed to be a figures lesson I always at least start with one. Like last lesson I managed to do a pretty good FO8, 3 times around on each foot! I am beginning to think it's something about that end of the rink (closest to the lobby) because I can't seem to get around on one push on the other end no matter how hard I try...
  • Edges -- Kelli wanted to see these since Sonya had talked to her about it. She was happy with the FO and FI edges, though she'd like a stronger push. BO edges, same feedback as Sonya -- need to keep free foot in front. Kelli had me try skating them without extending the free leg back on the last half of the lobe -- very hard, and I got up on my toe too much.
  • Back mohawk -- a.k.a step forward. We spent most of the lesson working on improving the step forward since it's a problem for me. A little bit of progress. Kelli told me to keep my hands lower so my shoulder won't block me and to work harder at (duh!) looking where I'm going.
  • BI edges -- just a couple of minutes on this at the end. Kelli's relatively happy with them although the lobes could be deeper.
All in all a good lesson. After my lesson I was practicing (along with another skater) when (at 9:06) a horde of school kids in rental skates invaded the session! Arrrgggh! There was no way I was going to get anything done with them on the ice (there were 50+ of them) so I stalked off the ice and complained at the desk. They were apologetic and said they hadn't realized what time it was and that the FS session wasn't over yet. Lame. I was really upset and it really put a crimp in my day. Yes, it was only 9 minutes but when was the last time they let someone skate 9 minutes for free at a FS session? Maybe I should point this out to them next week. Grrr.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home