Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, June 02, 2008

XOs, Still


Today's lesson was on the 7 a.m. FS as usual. There were only 4 skaters (and 3 coaches), so great conditions and beautiful ice.

Today's lesson:
  • FXOs -- I just had some quick questions on the test pattern -- I keep confusing myself as to which foot I'm supposed to be on for the transition between circles. Sonya reminded me that I'm suppossed to be doing "two circles, not an infinity symbol!" (She's said this before and I'm well aware of it) So, I need to not hug the hockey circle so tight for the last part of the circle, but come to the center more so I push onto a flat or shallow edge on the R foot (coming from the R side) or L foot from the L side, *then* push into the new circle. She said now that I'm getting a real underpush on both sides, my form is good. Of course I need more flow and a bit more speed would help, but that will come with more practice.
  • BXOs -- I told her my concerns about this, and she agrees that these are probably the biggest source of concern right now for the test. We talked about them a bit and then she held my trailing hand while I worked on them. This helped a lot, actually. Usually I'm pretty reluctant about hand-holding but when I'm feeling stuck I'll try anything :-). Anyway I managed a few with her help and while I'm still not doing them on my own I have a better idea of what it should feel like and what I need to do.
  • Spins -- finished up with 5 min. on these. Sonya cracks me up sometimes! My windup and entry is looking really good, but she wanted me to hold my arms out more on the beginning of the spin and then bring them together. So I did this, and she asked for "a smidge more". I tried it again. Then she wanted me to bend the knee more on the step forward. I asked her if she got her smidge, and she said yes, but she wants TWO SCOOPS of ice cream! So I did it again ( a little better) and asked her if she now wanted hot fudge and a cherry. I think she said she'd rather have marshmellow topping :-). Anyway it was a lot of fun and it is coming along slowly. I told her after this test I'm not going to want to look at moves for a month!
We have another lesson on Thursday (after my lesson with Kelli) -- it will be a tiring morning. Also there's some confusion about when the new rink schedule starts so she's hoping they will get it straightened out and let me know.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home