Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

XOs, Again


Today's lesson was with Sonya (Kelli is out this week) on the 8:15 FS, just a 15 minute lesson as Sonya had an appointment she had to go to. The ice was really astonishingly gorgeous (fresh) and I had it all to myself!

Today's lesson:
  • FXOs -- Sonya showed me a drill she'd like me to work on, a variation of a power drill, that consists of two pushes, cross & hold and two underpushes. Ukk. Can't do the two underpushes yet, and just doing the first two pushes gets me going a bit faster than I like. In other words, a good drill :-). She was very pleased with my progress on my bad side FXOs.
  • BXOs -- the remainder of the lesson. We worked on sitting back/down more and bending the knees more, also keeping the hip pulled back. I seem to have a very hard time bending that back knee for whatever reason. I feel pretty stuck on these, it's very frustrating.
After my lesson I worked a bunch of stuff. I worked on my FO8 and FI8 and actually got around the whole circle on each foot! The ice being so smooth helped a lot. I also worked more on my FXOs and BXOs and waltz-8. I also spent some time on the APB Moves 3-turn pattern, especially the LFI3 side since it's my bad side. I swear I must look like some kind of drunken sailor on these. The first lobe, especially, is bad. After that they improve, strangely enough. I have to figure out why that is. When I look at the tracings, the turns themselves actually aren't bad, though the placement is still pretty bad. I need to remember what Sonya's told me a million times -- I can take my time, especially on the back lobe.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home