Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Edge Work


I had this week's lesson on the 6 p.m. FS (had to switch from my usual Monday 7:30 a.m. slot due to a work trip). Since it's spring break the session wasn't crowded at all -- yay! :-)

We spent our time working, as promised on power and edges:
  • Swing roll drill -- Sonya had me do a lap of stroking, then straight into FO swing rolls down the length of the rink. The first side was pretty horrid, the second a little less so. My FO edge quality -- I'm just not getting my weight firmly over my skate. Grr. Then on to the same drill, FI swing rolls. This was a little better, but not much. I can see I'm going to need to do a lot more of these. My stroking's really gone to pot as well. *sigh*
  • Edges -- from this we went to doing some edges down the line, concentrating on getting the hip up and getting a better push. Oh, and chin up and bend the knees. Some improvement, though they weren't that bad to start with.
  • BO edge drill -- at my request, we finished up by working some more on BO edges, keeping the free foot in front and keeping the upper body turned into the circle. This is the same position I have problems with in the waltz-8. Some improvement. For whatever reason the LBO is a LOT harder for me than RBO, to keep the upper body turned in. I honestly think it's partly from when I hurt my L shoulder back in .... 2003? Sheesh. Sonya thinks it's mostly that I need to keep the free foot turned in and over the print. I'm sure that's true, or at least important.
So... a good lesson, in that it's really what I need to work on, I think. These things really ought to be easy for me at this point, but they are not -- so, what I need to work on. Hopefully I will get some time this week to work on 'em.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home