Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, March 10, 2008

First Competition


Sunday morning I got up at 6 and hit the road to the rink. Since I sang a concert the night before and also DST started that night I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked, but it was okay. Got to the rink at 6:48 to find Kelli there wondering where I was ("I thought you were one of those people who'd be here way early!"). Hey, it's just like my usual lesson time. Anyway, got my skates on and got on the ice at 7.

Had a good 30" of practice ice. Warmed up and worked on transitions. Kelli was at the boards and worked with me a lot. There were maybe 11 or 12 skaters there but it actually didn't seem nearly as chaotic as, say Tuesday 6 p.m. FS session. So that was good! Didn't get to play my music but did a runthrough and ran the second half.

After our time was up, relaxed a bit, then watched the high test figures event. It was awesome. A bunch of Sherwood people were behind me holding up signs for Kelli. She came out to do her second figure and looked at all of us and mouthed "Watch this!" and smiled. She cracked me up.

After that event I went and grabbed some breakfast, then came back, watched some more skating, checked in (Emmy took a picture to send Sonya of me handing in my music, LOL!), then went and changed into my costume and went up to the stretch room to stretch out a bit, listen to my program music and do some visualization. Came down around 11:25 and talked with Kelli, went and got my skates on. Walked with Kelli, Allison and Krissy (Krissy was putting Allison on for Sonya) down to the end of the rink where you get on for competitions. Checked in with the ice monitor, it was just before the end of the 2nd event before ours (the event before ours was a dance exhibition so not too long). Huddled under the heater talking with the other skaters and Kelli and Krissy.

Time to go, and they let us on the ice for our warmup. I was skating 3rd so I got to stay for the whole time. Got out and did a lap of slaloms and stroking, came out and did the FI3 into the spin and it hit me... horribly nervous. Came back and said to Kelli "okay, NOW I'm nervous!". It made me laugh in a way (but I was still nervous). Kelli reminded me to bend my knees and to breathe deep, and some other stuff I don't remember now :-). Went back out, skated around a bit, practiced the 3-turn section a bit, did a half flip, then a waltz jump, practiced the FXO - Xroll section, did two waltz jumps in a row... felt a little better. My sk8 girl homies (I think it was at least Emmy, Samantha, Kayla, Madison, Molly and maybe some other folks, not to mention Zena and some of the other parents) were yelling and stuff. It was very sweet and made me feel good (THANKS GIRLS!). Then it was time to come off.

Jacquie (first skater) and Allison (2nd) did their thing. I didn't watch, just concentrated on relaxing and talking with Kelli. Then they called my name and skated out to start. The homegirls yelled "You rock Gordon!" or something like that, which made me smile and relaxed me a bit. Music started and off I went... first part went well, first 3 was okay, second was a bit wonky which threw me and I did a step forward instead of the back 2-foot (and it was the EASY side, too). Oh well. Got a good push into the LFO glide, and at this point I was actually a little ahead of the music. Got to the pushback, XF, 2-foot spin and toepick thing and it all went well. Started off for the half flip and it went fine, into the lunge and FXO-Xroll section, still okay although maybe a little wobbly on that last. Went into the first waltz jump and fell on the landing (Kelli said I checked it with low arms, and lost my balance). Took me a little to get up and figure out where I was and how much time I had. Debated going into the RFI3 and spin from there but didn't think I had enough time so wound up skating a litle way, then into a pivot and ending slightly late.

Bowed to the judges, bowed to the audience (see Sonya, I remembered!), and skated off...

After my skate there were a number of things to do... order photos, order video. Once the results were in, take a picture with the ladies in my flight (I got one of just me, too). I got 4th (out of 4), so I still got a medal.

So... my first skate. Yes, I'm a bit disappointed. If I had to predict where I would have fallen it wasn't on the waltz jump! At least not the first one! Oh well. The crowd was really supportive and I really, really appreciated it. What great folks. Lisa Yates threw me a toy to pick up off the ice on my way off. Yay, my first toy! Like Tracy said, "you're a real skater now, you got a toy!" :-)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home