Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, March 10, 2008

PCAS '08


There's a lot to write about from this weekend, so I'm going to divide it into 3 parts (just like Gaul). The first part, this one, is about the competition as I experienced it other than my own competition. I'll write a second part about my program skate and how it went. Then I'll write a third part about what I learned and what I want to do as a result.

Saturday

I got to the rink a little before 8 to watch the first of my friends' skates, Amy and then Allison. Amy was in the Intro FS and Allison Pre-Bronze FS. After that a break, then watched Tracy's and Mary's and Lisa's freeskates. Very cool. Had a lot of fun hanging out talking with people and watching some great skating. Took Tracy to lunch and we had a great time catching up on things. She's such a great friend and someone I can always count on to tell me things straight. After lunch, came back and watched some dance, including coach Shannon and her partner. I was hoping to watch the pairs (they had 2 Gold pairs, I think, and a Bronze pairs exhibition) but they were running a bit behind and I had to leave for another commitment.

All through the day people kept coming up to me and talking about the Oregonian article. It was nice, but made me a little self-conscious. There are so many other skaters who are more deserving of attention than I am.

Sunday

Sunday I was at the rink early for my practice ice at 7, after that got to watch the high-test figures. Not surprisingly it took longer than they planned. It was really cool, though. It was like watching golf! Everyone was very quiet. When Kelli came out to do her first figure a bunch of her skaters were (quietly) holding up signs and stuff. It was very neat. The judges were very exacting and the whole process was fascinating to watch. Some of the competitors were very, very polished and others not as much, but all of them earned my respect and admiration. Kelli took 2nd (of 8) and we were all very proud of her.

After that I was mostly getting ready for my own skate but I did get to watch Tracy's solo dance. I thought she looked great, but she apparently blanked at one point and did an extra 3-turn, so she took 2nd. Oh well!

After my program I watched Tracy's and Lisa's and Mary's interps (Lisa did dramatic and light both). There was also a lot of running around ordering videos and pictures etc. I also spent some time talking to people and making some new acquaintances.

The coaches' interp at 1:55 was awesome. Sonya has been sick as a dog, poor thing, and her doctor told her she needs to stay home, so she had to withdraw. When Krissy and Laura came out to warm up there was a lot of whooping and hollering. Someone was leading cheers ("Give me a K! K! Give me an R! R!.... What's that spell? KRISSY!" etc., for both Krissy and Laura). Then the judges did the wave! Seriously. It was pretty funny. Laura skated first, and really, she skated just beautifully, it was very inspiring. Then Krissy came out and skated, and she was amazing too! Really awesome. I would say that Krissy's program was a little harder. She had a couple of small flubs, but a harder program. Laura's program was flawless as far as I could tell, but not as challenging. Krissy won.

I ran into Lucy Edwards, my first coach when I came to Oregon and was skating at Valley. She seems to be doing well, although not skating right now alas. Anyway, we had a nice chat, it was good to see her.

After that I watched some more wonderful skating, then had to leave around 4 for some other stuff I needed to do.

All in all it was a whole lot of fun, and it was a great experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home