Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, February 22, 2008

The Program That Was, Then Wasn't, And Now Is Again



I had an email yesterday a.m. from Terri L that the PCAS LOC was going to let me skate, so don't call everything off. I called the reporter from the Oregonian (hi Annie!) and told her that we were back on, and of course I told Sonya. I didn't get any official confirmation though.

I got to the rink for the 8:15 FS this morning and Lauren Z was there -- she's the PCAS organizer (or one of them), a local judge and ice dancer. She told me they had decided that I would skate with the women's adult intro. Yay!

Got on the ice and was warming up, and they were playing with the lights. Lauren, Kelli and Pam were trying to figure out optimal lighting for the figures competition -- I would have thought you'd want it bright, but apparently that's not so -- full lights is too much glare. While they were working on the lighting stuff Annie M. (reporter) showed up to take pictures. She's not allowed to stand on the ice (insurance issues etc.) So she stood at the door for almost a full hour (minus a break to walk across to Walgreen's for batteries) taking pictures. I worked on individual program elements and finished with a runthrough to music. It'll be interesting to see how the pictures come out -- with the funky lighting and perhaps not the best camera for the conditions (light, distance, motion, etc.), who knows?

After the session Annie told me that the article was originally slated to be in the weekly supplement section, but that she'd been talking about the story and there was some interest in perhaps putting it in the Metro section instead. That would be cool! If they do that they will probably send a regular sports photographer out to take some better pictures. (I'll have documentation on my poor posture and looking at the ice too much! eep!)

I had a fairly good skate despite the distractions. My music runthrough I was behind, of course. Sonya has cleverly built up a place halfway through to catch up so that was good, but I got behind in the second section. I didn't fall though, which was exciting for me :-).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home