Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Potpourri


Today's lesson was on the 8:15 FS... ah, an extra hour of sleep! I had the ice to myself the whole time, and it was apparently a pretty quiet morning. I assume it's because of the holidays.

Today's lesson:
  • Edges -- Sonya wanted to look at these. Oddly enough my FI edges are now better than my FO, which felt somewhat insecure. Sonya reminded me to bend the knee a little at the top of the lobe on the FO. Back edges have definitely improved but I need to remember to go straight out on the BI edges (get a bigger lobe).
  • FI3s -- the bulk of our time; we worked them on the hockey circle. We're trying to get me to not force them and to have some control, but it's very difficult. I felt very stiff-legged for some reason. I'm going to keep working these obviously.
  • Lunges -- Sonya wanted to look at other stuff that's in the bag o' tricks. The LF lunge is not too bad, but Sonya wants a straighter free leg. RF I'm not getting down far enough. I've not practiced these much so I was relatively pleased.
  • Spirals -- again LF much better than RF. It takes me too long to get in position, and I'm having a hard time getting a truly straight skating leg and getting my chest low enough. These don't feel as steady as they used to. *sigh*
We spent some time talking about the upcoming Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals, which will be at Shiny Rink in March. Unfortunately the weekend of the competition is also a weekend I have two choir concerts but I'm hopeful I can work it out so there won't be any conflicts. We discussed doing either an interpretive or a regular freeskate. I gave Sonya a couple different CDs of music that I might like to skate to. We talked about goals and I told Sonya that my real goal would just be to skate well (it's my first competition after all). We'll be talking about this more I'm sure. The deadline to register is Jan. 25th.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home