Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Keeping At It


Today's lesson:
  • LFI3 -- these continue to improve slowly. Sonya had me do the last few with the step forward and RFO3 as in the APB 3-turn pattern. Not too bad. Still working to hold the entrance edge longer and make the turn less skidded, and to settle back better onto the LBO.
  • Back Russian Stroking -- I still find these quite fun but I'm having a hard time finding the rhythm. I have a hard time straighten the sort-of-free leg on the BI edge; when I do, and really lean on that edge, wow, some power there. I suspect I should try to relax and not rush and maybe that would help me get everything okay.
  • Spins -- some small progress. Sonya suggested I try to think of bringing the right leg into the knee together with the right arm coming in. I think at this point it's probably a combination of not finding the rocker well, and bailing too quickly.
At the end of my lesson Sonya and I talked briefly about Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals, which will be at Shiny Rink next March (2008). We talked about getting my pre-Bronze tests passed so I could potentially compete then.

I had my lesson at the beginning of the session (per Sonya's request). For the last half of the session I worked on spins, back Russian stroking, APB 3-turn pattern (R foot only, bad Gordon!) and half flip. I spent some time working at the boards on just the jump part of the half flip, since it seems pretty wonky and otherwise unimpressive to me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home