Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

More Moves


Today's lesson:
  • Edges -- Sonya wanted to review these, probably because she saw me working them :-). Forward edges look pretty good; Sonya reminded me to keep the free hip up on the FO edges. On my back edges she reminded me to not have the free leg come so far back behind me -- I can still have tension in the leg without having to have it out so far. Overall she seems pretty pleased with these and says I'm too hard on myself on them.
  • Waltz-8 -- these are coming along. The placement of the turn is much better, it's almost right. My RFO3 is sometimes a bit scratchy, though, and I was having real issues with the step forward. Also, I still need to hold the exit of the turn a bit longer -- when I do, the rest of the move goes much, much better.
  • BXOs to landing position -- I asked to look at these since I had gone over all the other Bronze moves except this one. It was a little harder than I expected. Sonya told me that I need to keep the skating leg straighter in the landing position. We also worked on the arm position a bit. These are kind of fun, though. Sonya reminded me I can just work these on the hockey circle when the session is crowded. Good point!
  • Spins -- these are about where I left 'em. Sonya went over my print with her marker and said that the hook of the spin is fine, it's that after that I get up on my toepick. Sonya said she's going to have to think about how we can fix this. It's possible it will be a little easier on my new skates, though -- I sure hope so.
Update on skates: The guy from the pro shop called me yesterday to let me know that my skates should ship from the factory this coming Friday or Monday, and he should have them a week later. After that a couple of days for fitting, sealing, etc., so I should be wearing 'em for my lesson on the 22nd hopefully.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home