Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Even More Moves


Today's lesson:
  • LFI3 -- still plugging away on these, but they really are improving. At one point I asked Sonya to talk to me while I was doing one, and sure enough -- improvement. It shows that my biggest issue now with trying to hold a longer entrance edge is all psychological. My body knows what to do, but my brain gets in the way. Nevertheless I'm pleased with my progress.
  • FXOs -- in the Moves pattern. Interestingly enough Sonya is more concerned by my lack of consistency on getting good extension than on my continuing (but improving) problems with the underpush and toe-pushing. These are getting a lot faster and it's a bit scary. Sonya suggested I think more about getting a good push and good tempo, taking my time. I can make bigger circles if I need to -- I don't have to slavishly follow the hockey circles.
  • BXOs -- Sonya says I'm tending to pick up my crossed-under foot before I've crossed it all the way under -- I really need to feel those thighs squeeze together. Also, she wants me to think about reaching not just into the circle, but in and back, when I step. This makes it easier to get a better cross.
  • APB 3-Turn Pattern -- We just worked on the LFI3-RFO3 side. Apparently my LFI3 is now good enough to be able to do these! We only had a few minutes on them but they don't look bad at all -- Sonya said, "If this is the bad side I expect the other side to be terrific!" (or something like that). Main correction was to work on placing the 3s correctly -- I was actually holding the exit from the LFI3 too long (!). Obviously much to be done on these.
Sonya is taking some of her skaters to a competition next week so it's unclear what the lesson schedule will be. Also, I will not be able to skate the Sunday Zoo until after Easter due to church choir extra rehearsals. I'll have to try to get more time in elsewhen.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home