Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Perseverance


I attended the adult skate today and got some good practice in. It was actually rather full for a Wednesday, about 20 people or so! There's a new skater that I introduced myself to, his name is Jonathan. He's been to the adult session a few times with his girlfriend (I assume that's who she is). He's college age, has a nice waltz jump and some other single jumps. Don't think I've seen any doubles or Axel. Seems nice enough, and it's always nice to see more men out.

I spent a good chunk of time working on the waltz jump walkthrough. I did a zillion of them (okay, maybe not, but it felt like it). The good thing is that they feel very comfortable now. I'm still a little touchy on putting the R foot down, though -- I tend to put it down twice, if that makes sense. I'm putting it down on the toepick as Anna wants me to although I'm not sure how well I'm doing the rest of it. Still, it was good solid practice and makes me feel better about things.

I spent some time (of course) on 3s and Mohawks and other stuff. I experimented a bit with my back crossovers, especially at the end of the session when it wasn't so crowded and I could do them in BIG circles. Fun! What I was experimenting with is having my palms up instead of down. I don't know if I blogged about this before or not, but it occurred to me that having my palms up might help me to keep from hunching my shoulders and also might keep me turned into the circle more. I'm not sure yet about the result -- it seemed like it improved them but it might be wishful thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home