Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

MK Can Do No Wrong?


I was reading e-sk8r's entry where she comments on Michelle Kwan's Nationals performance:

Need to add something after having digested more of MK's skate at Nationals. Let me say this: I think it was one of HER greatest skates, and was obviously the best on that night. When I think back, I notice what I have almost always felt was lacking in MK's skating was that I, as a spectator, didn't feel a lot when she skated. An example, I remember her East of Eden program----I felt something from that one. However, technically, there was no one close. I liked Jenny Kirk's interpretation of the music better than MK's interpretation of music, but I don't like Jenny Kirk's skating as much, as she appears weak and "on the ice" as opposed to "in the ice". The most interesting thing about all of this is that when I talked to coach today SHE AGREED with me. I am usually the odd man out with my opinions about MK, as MK can do no wrong in the skating world. Anyway...just my opinion.

As anyone who's read this blog for a while has figured out, I am a big MK fan. Indeed, watching her has a lot to do with why I started skating to begin with. That said, for me watching MK skate has a lot to do with the music. If I like the music, I usually like what she does with it. If I don't like the music I may or may not like the skating that goes with it. Being a very musical person I suppose that's understandable. I've only been watching her a lot for the last couple of years, although I've followed her somewhat since the '98 Olympics.

Of all the MK programs I've seen, I think my favorites are:

  1. 2003 Worlds "Aranjuez"
  2. 2002 Olympics "Fields of Gold" (exhibition)
  3. 1998 Nationals "Lyra Angelica"
  4. 1998 Olympics "On My Own" (exhibition)

"Tosca" was an excellent program and while I was really impressed by her performance (in particular the way she has managed to improve her technical merit while keeping her presentation mark high), it's not (IMHO) the one I'll remember. The ones that echo in my mind are Aranjuez and Fields of Gold -- I can see those moves in my sleep, especially the Charlotte spiral and the Aranjuez footwork (awesome!) and of course the change-edge spiral. What most gets me in a program isn't spins, it's footwork and connecting moves, followed by jumps. I'm more impressed by grace and flow than by strength, speed or power. MK generally excels at the former, but has clearly been improving the latter -- a combination which may well prove unstoppable.

I also meant to comment on Sasha Cohen's exhibition -- the woman is an amazing, amazing skater. The extension on her spirals is just incredible, and she has the best split-jumps of any skater I've seen. With Robin Wagner coaching her, perhaps she can settle herself and unleash the greatness inside.

Update: USA Today's Christine Brennan has a good column on MK's future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home