Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Mohawks & Power-3s

My lesson with Holly on the Gilbert adult skate.  As usual, nice ice and only 4 skaters for most of the time.

I warmed up stroking, edges, some crossovers, and the FO8/FI8 Bronze move.  The last was not so great :-( as my push onto my R foot (inside or outside) is weak and I don't make it around.  Grr.  My speed is somewhat improved but I'm still tentative.

Today's lesson:

  • mohawks -- we worked just briefly on these, both forward and then some back mohawks (F mohawk/step forward) which were relatively okay.
  • power-3s -- most of our lesson.  Down the line at first, then down the rink.  We spent most of our time on the weaker RFO3 side.  They are still pretty rough but they are happening, so that is something.  Two helpful tips from Holly today -- 1) I'm raising my hip too much after the BXO, which makes it hard to step forward.  Keeping it lower really helped.... 2) after the BXO I was coming back to the axis too perpendicular, which makes it harder to step forward.  Coming back to the axis at a smaller angle helps a lot.  After a bunch of time on the RFO3 we briefly looked at the LFO3, which is more comfortable but not actually a lot better.  Hmmph.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home