Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Free Skate

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 - 8:15 FS at Gilbert.  I saw JJ before I got on the ice and he asked if we could do my lesson at 8 a.m.  Since I was planning on staying for the 2nd session I said "sure!".  Had a good long time to warm up, which was good since I was feeling a bit out of it at first.

Today's lesson focused just on the free skate program.  We ran the first half, and the 2nd half, and once with music, and a few other chunks also.  I had an annoying fall on the waltz-toe -- failed to engage the toe pick on the toe loop and WHOMP down I went.    Managed to get up quickly though and finish the program, so I was happy with that.  No harm done.

The consensus is that I need to skate faster, especially in the first half of the program.  The addition of the spiral in that part wouldn't make any difference if I had speed, but as it is it's too slow.  On the positive side the spiral itself seems to be just fine.  In the 2nd half the good news is that I'm doing fine on the salchow.  The waltz-toe is still pretty iffy.  All in all I think it's coming along fine and I'm not too worried about it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home