Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Salchow, Waltz-Toe

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  Nice ice as usual, and just me and one other skater (Amber, then Rachel) the whole time!

Today's lesson:
  • salchow -- I told JJ I wanted to work on the salchow in the program.  I was trying to figure out how to get into it (it's now where the toe loop was) and I was not having any luck.  We worked through it and JJ wants me to come out of what I call the punch-punch moment with a BXO (as before, but wider), then step to the R foot and do a swing roll, then step to the L foot and do the salchow.  We worked it through and it should be okay, but will need more work of course.
  • waltz-toe -- after that we went to work on getting the waltz-toe combo.  I am getting into the correct position but I don't jump.  JJ had me hold a hockey stick (to hold the correct arm position) and work the upper body -- arms stay to the right until the toe pick engages, then turn w/the body to the L.  I kind of got the hang of it and it feels right.  Still more work to do but I think we made some progress.
After my lesson I stayed through the next session and  worked through a lot of Moves.  I noticed on the BXO to landing position that my LBO is good and my RBO, I'm up on my toe!  How weird is that?  I worked on it a bunch and it got a little better.  Spent a bunch of time working power-3s (esp. R foot that I tend to ignore), and 5-step mohawk on the circle.  Some good stuff I think.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home