Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Spins & Program Prep

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert as usual.  The rink was quite empty today; only a few skaters on the session before me, and I had the ice to myself for an hour and a half!

Today"s lesson:
  • Spins -- much more work on these to follow up my lesson with Kelli last week.  Lots of drawing on the ice.  Sadly I don't feel any closer to being solid on these.  The weird thing is I always feel like I am thisclose to getting it, but it's not happening.  Some day I will get these and will wonder why it took me so long, but for now I'm just frustrated.
  • program -- before I ran my program JJ made me decide on a couple of things to fix, so I told him I wanted to keep my head up in the toe loop and hold the entrance of the salchow longer.  I ran the program and managed to do both of those things.  Afterward we discussed it for a few minutes (6 or 8) and then ran it again.  Eeep!  It was okay.  The spins were pretty stinky each and every time but the rest of it was ... decent.
We also took time to discuss some issues about practice ice at PCAS (I'm going to just stick with the Friday night practice ice and not sign up for 6 a.m. Saturday, just try to get a good night's sleep instead).  Also we are going to have to change our lesson time starting 3/15 as I have a work meeting that is going to interfere; we will switch to Wednesdays.  And finally we discussed my flirtation with ice dance but didn't come to any real conclusions as to what I should do about it.  I've not decided if I am going to keep going to the class or not... generally speaking I figure "what have I got to lose?" although truth be told it's rather frustrating, so the answer might be "my sanity and/or self-esteem."  Oh well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home