Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Spins & Program

I had a lesson with Kelli on the 8 a.m. FS at WSC.  I was running a bit late but since I was nicely warmed up from my session at Sherwood it wasn't a problem.

Today's lesson:
  • spins -- I really wanted to work with Kelli on spins; I've worked with so many people on them but never really Kelli, and I was hopeful she had some words of wisdom to impart on these.  She did!  We worked on them just from a standing start, and she focused on holding the free leg back longer and getting a longer and deeper edge before the 3-turn.  The point was to get me over my left side and keep me from forcing the turn.  That seemed to help a lot.  She also emphasized getting the left arm out and around and not worrying too much about the R side.  I did some pretty good spins (for me!) in this format but when I tried it from BXOs I wasn't able to duplicate my success.  I need to work on this more but I have some thoughts about it.
  • program prep -- we worked on some elements from the program as prep; Kelli reminded me to look up during the toe loop ("look confident!") and to not short-change the prep on the salchow entrance.
  • program -- we were almost out of time, but had time to run the program once with music.  It was okay; the last spin was actually pretty good.
I had not skated at WSC in quite some time.  Ice was decent (not as nice as Sherwood's or Gilbert's but better than Chandler's morning ice); there was a young dance team working which was pretty cool to watch.

Back home this afternoon and no skating until Monday it looks like.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home