Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, March 02, 2012

Ice Dance Class

I dropped-in to the beginning ice dance class at the Ice Den.  Some changes -- we had 3 adults, one older teen, and 3 kids (they've been there the whole time pretty much); also instructors were Tim D as before, Don B. and jr. coach Katie as before.  I'd seen Don skate before (really amazing) but hadn't ever really met him.  Also hadn't realized he's a "grownup"... he's 34!

Format for this class was quite different, we spent about 15 minutes each on DW, CT and Swing Dance with the instructors running around giving people feedback.  I really liked this as I had time to actually repeat the dances enough to feel like I at least know the steps (for DW and CT -- SD is a whole 'nother ball game).

I had some really good feedback from Don -- I really appreciated that he spent what seemed like a lot of time on me.  Most of his feedback was that I really, really, really need to bend my knees more.  Not surprising but still I had an opportunity to put it into practice right there.  Also for some reason I'd never really internalized that I need to bend my knees going into everything, then straighten when I bring my feet together.  Except for swing rolls -- I never quite got before that I need to straighten up as I bring my free foot through (top of the lobe).

Anyway, it was a good class and I'm glad I went.  It was *really* tiring though!  An hour of solid dancing.  Yow.  Due to travel etc. I won't be able to attend this again for 3 weeks.  Oh well.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home