Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, September 08, 2011


FXOs & Power-3s


My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  Per our earlier discussions we are going to focus on getting me to skate faster and with more confidence, using the Bronze Moves as the vehicle.

Today's lesson:
  • FXOs -- JJ wanted me to just work on skating alternating FXOs down the length of the rink; not the Moves pattern, but a squished version that you often see people doing for warmups where the axis goes through the hockey dots and you only go 3-4 ft on either side of it.  This quickly showed up just how much I hate the clockwise FXOs... grrr.
  • Power-3s -- JJ reminded me of the pattern for these.  The diagram in the book shows 4 FO3s per side.  I'm not sure what I wound up doing before.  We worked on them down the red line, just working on the 3.  JJ wants me to go into the 3 a bit more squared-off than I'm used to, and reminded me to keep the lobe with the 3 shallow.  Hmmph.
After my lesson I stayed and skated another 45 minutes and worked a lot on the above stuff.  Made good progress on the alternating FXOs so that they are more comfortable and I am not so scared of the clockwise FXO.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home