Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011


Spins & Program Prep


My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.

Today's lesson:
  • Spins -- I wanted to spend some time on these because they've been so bad.  JJ had me try to concentrate first on just one thing I need to fix, so I chose keeping the free leg back until the hook.  After I kind of managed that he let me add the next thing, getting the arms/upper body squared off.  Some success with this, and I did one spin that was decent and several that were at least better.
  • Program prep -- Did a runthrough and it was reasonably okay.  We talked through some issues I'm having with ice position in the first half of the program; I need to go a little deeper into the corner so that I can do my two BXOs there without having to try to do the last one in almost a straight line. Ran the program again and I fell in the lunge... it took me a second to realize, duh, I'm doing a runthrough, have to get up and go on.  Continued on and fell (or almost feel, not sure now) going into the traveling 3s because I was just off balance after the salchow.  Oh well.
That's all we had time for.  I skate at 3:30 on Saturday at Sherwood.  Kelli is going to be at my practice ice and then put me on the ice also.

I realized I am really fortunate to have coaches who work together for and with me.  I feel like I'm incredibly blessed to have JJ, Lynne, Kelli and Sonya make it possible for me to compete in Phoenix and Portland and have support both places.  It's really awesome.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home