Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, August 27, 2011


Sherwood Invitational 2011


I did an exhibition of my "Battle for the Beat" program today at the Sherwood Invitational.

I am battling a cold and some pain in my Lshoulder/neck/upper arm, but I felt reasonably okay.  I was scheduled to skate at 3:30.  At 3 p.m. Kelli took me out with another of her skaters to warm us up.  After a 10-12 minute warmup I went to get my skates on etc., then checked in with the ice monitor and waited for my warmup (I was after novice ladies).

I went out for my warmup and did a lap or so of slaloms and stroking, then went and did all my jumps and then a spin.  It was so-so, so I went and did another that was pretty good.  Ran some chunks of the program and then a couple more spins and then I was out of time (I came off at the 1 minute warmup since I had the warmup all to myself).  I was pretty nervous at the start of the warmup and the ice felt really slick to me but it got better.

All through the warmup the ladies (mostly) of "Team Gordon" were yelling their support -- it was really very heartwarming and inspiring.  I felt like Sally Field ("you like me!  you really like me!").  I was wearing my TFSC club jacket all through the warmup as my costume has NO insulation.  So when I went off at the one minute warmup and Kelli was giving me The Talk, I took off my jacket -- and Team Gordon were like "woo woo!"  It cracked me up and let me tell you, nothing relaxes you better than laughter.  I'm really blessed to have such amazing friends.

So finally they called me out to skate and I skated out and got into my starting pose... the music started and off I went! First spin, kick, kick, power shift/BXO sequence all went pretty well.  Came out of the 2nd BXO a bit straight though in spite of the work we have done, but went into the half flip okay... and somehow biffed it.  I didn't fall, it just didn't quite happen and I'm not sure why yet.  Went on and did the lunge and into the spin and the spin went well. 

Onward through the punch-punch sequence (crowd really liked that!) and then the toe-waltz (grr), and the footwork around the circle and the waltz-spincow sequence.  At this point I realized the hardest stuff is behind and I'm almost done, which was a good feeling.  Into the traveling RFI3s and the final spin (not as good as the previous one, but oh well) and the final pose and I was done!  Did my bows and skated off a happy, happy camper.

Came off the ice and gave Kelli a BIG hug, and said thanks to various friends that were there -- my PDX skating homegirls, my cousin and her BF who came to watch for the first time ever, my friend Stacey and my skate buddy Lisa who's just moved to PDX from Tucson. 

What an amazing day!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home