Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Crossovers & Spirals

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert, as usual.

Today's lesson:
  • Crossovers -- we worked on the FXO and BXO pattern from Bronze moves.  JJ timed me at 1:10.  He said that in general the pattern was good but I need to fix the transition from forward to backward as it's not what is specified -- I need a couple of FXOs on the end, an LFO edge, then a RFI mohawk and one BXO and into the BXO side of the pattern.   We then spent a good chunk of time working on BXOs; JJ says that the FXOs are fairly strong (even the weaker side).  So the area of most concern is the CCW BXOs.  Bleah.  The issue seems to be that I never really get my weight on the R side all the way, and then I want to quickly move my weight to the L foot, not a smooth transition.  JJ wants me to work on just doing a back swizzle into a cross foot-grapevine kind of thing, lather/rinse/repeat.
  • Spirals -- eep!  JJ wanted to look at these and I had not done one in about a zillion years... just the L foot (phew).   They weren't toooo bad, although I wish I had gotten a video so I could see how high my leg is (or isn't) getting.  We worked a bit on stretching and he had my try a back spiral (still on the left foot)... eeek.  I'd never done one before!  Scary to be so blind.
After my lesson I skated until 9 and worked on a variety of things.   Did one spin that actually came out really nice -- 3 revs and nicely centered!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home